Re: Operate until failure

  • From: Paul Timmins
  • Date: Mon Jan 08 10:02:32 2001
On 8 Jan 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

> I'm aware of a variety of proprietary software shutdown programs associated
> with UPS vendors.  But I'm wondering do any "open standards" exist for
> initiating soft shutdowns?
Almost all UPS's on the market twiddle with the DTR and RTS signals on the
serial port when a power failure or an imminent battery failure. You can
generally twiddle a pin on the serial cable to shut it off as well.
For APC smart UPS devices, people have reverse engineered the protocol to
communicate in smart mode and get battery voltages and the like. Do a
search for "linux UPS daemons APC" and you should find something of use
(since you will probably have to read the source code to figure out the
protocol, it helps if you know C)
-Paul

By popular request my signature has moved to
<http://198.87.147.226/paulsig.txt>

Paul Timmins
[email protected]
http://www.timmins.net/
"By definition, if you don't stand up for anything, you stand for
nothing."
     ---Paul Timmins