Operate until failure

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jan 08 04:44:32 2001

Is there any consistency among network operators how they operate
their networks when they know a possibility of imminent failure
exists?

1. Do you attempt to preserve service as long as possible, including
running equipment to the point of destruction?

2. Do you attempt to minimize recovery time by shutting down equipment
to a "safe" condition before failure?

If you are running a database/transaction oriented system, I would expect
you want to put the database into a stable condition.  On the other hand,
if you are operating mostly communication equipment, you would want to
leave it operating as long as possible.

I'm aware of a variety of proprietary software shutdown programs associated
with UPS vendors.  But I'm wondering do any "open standards" exist for
initiating soft shutdowns?