Re: FTP with authentication to RADIUS

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Fri Jan 05 17:08:04 2001

[ On Friday, January 5, 2001 at 15:34:59 (-0500), Steve Sobol wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FTP with authentication to RADIUS
>
> SCP works well, and actually, the usage isn't that hard to figure out:
>
> scp [email protected]:/path/to/file [email protected]:/path/to/file

Indeed!  I don't know what could be any easier.  FTP is terribly arcane!

> But it requires an active shell account on both ends.

With the basic configuration that's true -- but SSH can be configured in
such a way that only one "command" can be run, and with a minor patch to
sshd it's possible to set up file transfers only and to not ever allow
general shell access.  I've done this with rsync so people can update
their web sites on production machines while having FTP access only on a
less important system, and with a wee bit of innovation it'll work for
plain scp too.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>