RE: florida ix(en) facing south

  • From: Barrows, Jeff
  • Date: Thu Jan 04 19:11:31 2001

>but those "clueless folks" are just providing L2 switching
>and colocation in an essence.
>
>My point is -- it is important to whom do you peer at NAP,
>not who is your "real estate" landlord.

  if you don't care how often the L2 thing goes down, how
  knowledgeable the person that picks up the phone is, or
  how long it takes to figure out the difference between
  single- and multi-mode fiber.

  i won't call them clueless, or insinuate that either of
  the IX operators discussed here are, but...  yes, it does
  matter whether or not they are knowledgeable folks on the
  technology side, and yes, i want them to understand IP
  traffic, traffic queuing, capacity planning, congestion
  issues, scaling, platforms, and other things that Internet
  providers need to discuss with them.

  luckily, while some of the players down in Miami may
  have interests in a Miami IX from the real estate side,
  i don't think either of them are proposing having a
  bricklayer or handyman configuring the L2 gear.

  still though, none of that matters if the set of folks
  that i want to connect to aren't present there with the
  parts [not just transit] of their network that i want to
  connect to-- so that's what i am interested in knowing at
  the moment.

  i am also quite interested in knowing what the 'familiar'
  folks' (i.e., Equinix, Worldcom, etc.) positions are on
  developing an exchange in that region, and would welcome
  their stepping up to the demand.  (either in this forum
  or directly.)

 - jsb