Re: IP Multicasting

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Jan 02 13:51:59 2001

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 01:28:04PM -0500, Ron da Silva wrote:

> Deen,
>
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 06:55:24PM +0600, [email protected] wrote:
> > We are developing a streaming video based application. Can someone tell me
> > whether
> >
> > (1) Multicasting is necessary for such an application
> > (2) How do we configure multicasting, and multicast (224.x.x.x) to Global IP
> > Conversion, on Cisco Routers. Some useful sites will be handy.
> > (3) What is the function of the MBone network, and whether it is required
> > for such a situation.
> >
> > Deen
> > Sri Lanka Telecom
> > Internet
>
> Sounds like a one-to-many application.  And as such, I would ask
> who are your anticipated receivers?  Secondly, are those receivers
> currently able to join multicast groups?
>
> If your receiver population is not multicast enabled, then writing
> a multicast application will be in vain unless you address the
> extension of multicast to edge where your receivers reside.

	Most of the larger ISPs out there have multicast available on
their network in various states of being supported.  The advent of SSM
(single source multicast) makes such one-to-many much easier than
in the past.

	You should be able to call your ISP and ask them if they support
multicast.  If you want to check on them, and know their ASN you can
telnet to one of the route servers (route-views.oregon-ix.net is the
best for checking on multicast) and type "sh ip mbgp r _2914$" for example
to get an idea of if Verio is a multicast enabled network.  The same
goes for many other providers.

	Verio, Sprint, Qwest, Digex/Intermedia, AboveNet/MFN and
GlobalCenter all have multicast enabled networks and offer multicast
services to customers last I knew.  I don't speak for any of them
so my information may be out of date...

	- Jared

END OF LINE  | Manager of IP networks built within my own home