Re: IP Multicasting

  • From: Ron da Silva
  • Date: Tue Jan 02 13:37:49 2001

Deen,

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 06:55:24PM +0600, [email protected] wrote:
> We are developing a streaming video based application. Can someone tell me
> whether
>
> (1) Multicasting is necessary for such an application
> (2) How do we configure multicasting, and multicast (224.x.x.x) to Global IP
> Conversion, on Cisco Routers. Some useful sites will be handy.
> (3) What is the function of the MBone network, and whether it is required
> for such a situation.
>
> Deen
> Sri Lanka Telecom
> Internet

Sounds like a one-to-many application.  And as such, I would ask
who are your anticipated receivers?  Secondly, are those receivers
currently able to join multicast groups?

If your receiver population is not multicast enabled, then writing
a multicast application will be in vain unless you address the
extension of multicast to edge where your receivers reside.

-ron

Ron da Silva               [email protected]
Network Architect         703.265.4548
America Online, Inc.