Re: Further Internet Metrics

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue Jan 02 12:57:49 2001

> The Internet Metrics post in December was a good starting point for my
> research on backbone traffic, but I'm struggling to get more specific
> information.  Specifically, I am trying to find out the market share for the
> major backbone providers (so far I've found WorldCom 37% and Sprint 16% of
> traffic).
> Interdiciplinary Telecommunications Program, CU Boulder

i submit that your metrics are subject to serious question.  while we expect
little of boarwatch, i would hope academics would be a bit more responsible.

e.g. how do you assign the traffic share of the traffic going to a smallish
network which is multi-homed behind sprint, uunet, and which is also appears
at mae-west?  hint: if you look from a uunet or sprint perspective, then you
assign it to uunet or sprint depending on perspective.  but if you also peer
openly at mae-west, then you don't assign it to either.

so how about some prudent or accurate, as opposed to merely fast, ideas?

randy