Re: IP Multicasting

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Mon Jan 01 15:54:02 2001

[email protected] wrote:

> Hello Nanog,
>
> We are developing a streaming video based application. Can someone tell me
> whether
>
> (1) Multicasting is necessary for such an application
> (2) How do we configure multicasting, and multicast (224.x.x.x) to Global IP
> Conversion, on Cisco Routers. Some useful sites will be handy.
> (3) What is the function of the MBone network, and whether it is required
> for such a situation.
>
> Deen
> Sri Lanka Telecom
> Internet

Hello;

The old MBone - the set of DVMRP domains connected by tunnels, is nearly
dead - it
shows up as AS10888.
The native multicast enabled mbone is called by some the MBone, but
this usage is not universal.

At any rate, from Sri Lanka you may have trouble getting a direct
connection to
the multicast enabled Internet. I recommend Sprint in general as the
most cluefull
of the large multicast providers. I do not know where or with whom you
peer, but possible "nearby" multicast service providers include

AS 2497	Internet Inititative Japan Inc.
AS 9270 	Korea Telecom
AS 9589	UUNET Hong Kong Ltd.

I cannot speak as to their ability.

Also, Enron or Qwest might be able to help.

If you want to get up quickly, unless you directly peer with someone who
does multicast,
you will need a tunnel to someone who does. We could help you with that...

As Golding says, you will need to speak MSDP and MBGP, as well as
(strongly recommended)
PIM-SM and IGMP internally

Cisco documentation can be obtained from
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast.html and
http://www.ieng.com/warp/public/cc/techno/protocol/ipmu/tech/ipcas_dg.htm

Also, you should read the info in

http://www.live.com/mbone/  and
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/get-mbone.html

Further info is available from http://www.ipmulticast.com/ - you should
think about
joining the IP Multicast mailing list, which is more appropriate for multicast
questions than NANOG -

To subscribe to the IP Multicast mailing list, send an email message to [email protected]
Leave the subject blank, place the following line of text in the body:

     subscribe ipmulticast <your full name>

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme[email protected]     http://www.on-the-i.com