Re: RFC1918 addresses to permit in for VPN?

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Sun Dec 31 16:43:47 2000

> No, but putting your car on a private road that you need to circumvent
> several roadblocks to reach IS a pretty good deterrent to its being in an
> accident.

I doubt the roadblocks are anything serious in most cases; if all
you're doing is RFC1918 addressing, then source-routing on the
attacker's side can probably make your box theirs in short order. Most
people of this ilk I've encountered think so highly of RFC1918
addressing as a security measure that they blindly assume no other
precautions are necessary. I would hope that no-one on this list would
stoop to *that* level of stupidity. Presenting a "security by
obscurity" argument is bad enough.

Stephen