San Jose power outage

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Dec 27 01:21:26 2000

Murphy's back.  I returned to the San Jose area after the chrismas
holidays.  I flew into the San Jose airport.

Pacific Gas & Electric, the electric utility serving San Jose and the
airport, lost a high-voltage power line about 6:40pm.  The emergency
generator serving one of the terminals as the airport failed to start.
Power was restored about two hours later.  As far as I know, none of
the ISPs or colocation providers in San Jose were affected.

There are also two major winter storms disrupting utilities through
the Midwest.  At least 200,000 subscribers were without power in various
midwestern states.