Re: florida ix(en) facing south

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Thu Dec 21 15:50:50 2000

[Speaking on pubic information and personal opinion]

Frankly I dont think Bellsouth has done an amazing job of explaining it's design premises or capabilities to the public. I know they made a big effort to make sure if you had an existing pop or colo that there was no need for a forklift; you could get cost effective services from any area of South Florida. They should have nodes in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach areas and it is flat rated service last I heard. There is a DWDM and optical switching piece built in such that providers should be able to do private peering as quickly and easily as setting up an ATM PVC, however it will be circuit based. The thinking was to allow large backbones to establish private peering session extremely quickly at speeds up to OC192.

Obviously if you are located next to a node and can do a physical cross connect that is much cheaper then running a circuit 100 miles. However, if are located at a node of a carrier ring / network that has fibre extending into a node, it may be just as cheap if you are 50miles away or 1 mile. In this case the nodes might be thought of as "extended nap nodes" in a way.

Bellsouth really needs to do a presentation at NANOG and explain some of the design pros and cons. From what I have seen once you work through it you see that this is a huge leap from establishing private peering sessions. Capacity can also be added in hours instead of months thanks to DWDM and optical switching.

It's a good design that needs to be taken to an open forum discussion at nanog.

dd