Re: small device with IP address

  • From: Steve Goldstein
  • Date: Thu Dec 21 10:00:16 2000

At 3:23 PM +0100 12/21/00, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a device somewhere that is small, cheap, has
1 10mbit (or 100mbit) ethernet port and a small IP stack that enable you
to set ip address and default gateway on it (dhcp perhaps?).

I would like to put something like this at some customers to use for
pinging to see that the customer is reachable. Cost should preferrably be
in the $50-$100 range.

D-Link Residential Gateway, about $84 on Buy.com. It is a NAT box, configurable with a Windows GUI or directly through a serial port. Ethernet to the modem (e.g., xDSL) and ethernet to the local network. Does DHCP to the local hosts and can live with PPPOE. Accepts a static IP address. I have one at home, and it works well and is easy to set up.

--Steve