Re: Port scanning legal

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Wed Dec 20 12:52:23 2000

>I suspect we've wandered from the point somewhat.

a little.

>The original discussion arose from a report of an individual landing
>himself in court as a result of scanning a network which housed (at
>the very minimum) a 911 center and a police department.

my read of it, in brief was like this:

some dude was working for 911 at the task of adding a line between 911
and the police dept (easy work).  concerned about security, he scanned
the network where the 911 systems were and happened to hit upon
another company's machine (imho, completely understandable).

why this went to court is beyond me.  this *ought*, imho, to have been
tackled with a few phone calls between, say, the head of the 911
stuff, perhaps someone from the police dept, someone from the county
(to vouch for the guy), and someone from the "other company".  this
court stuff is silly.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet