RE: Port scanning legal

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Tue Dec 19 21:51:58 2000

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Mathew Butler wrote:
> > Great, so you're suggesting punishing good locksmiths or windowmen.
>
> Last I checked, locksmiths dont walk up and down streets checking
> every lock and window on every house.

Or to put it differently, when locksmiths or windowmen 'check' my property
uninvited, YOU BET I will use whatever means neccessary to see them punished
for invading my privacy, attempted breaking and entering or whatever.  I (and
many others) assume hostile intent.  Don't port scan unless you have express
permission.

Typically locksmiths get paid, and windowmen, too.  To equal port scanning
with some sort of community service is a ludicrous argument.  And if you want
to offer free port scanning services, it can't hurt to ask before you do so if
you really want to contribute something back to the net society.

--
Christian Kuhtz <[email protected]> -wk, <[email protected]> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.