Re: FDDI to FE?

  • From: Chris Cappuccio
  • Date: Tue Dec 19 18:41:53 2000

You could always put together a router with a DEC PCI FDDI card
and Intel Fast ethernet to convert cheaply between the too...
With a Celeron 500 or something, the cost is well under $1000..

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Jimmy Kyriannis wrote:

 | At 4:33 PM -0500 12/19/00, Reid B. Fishler wrote:
 | >Howdy all. We are about to install a new VXR, however it came to our
 | >attention that FDDI is not
 | >compatable with it at all. Unfortunately, we need to connect FDDI to
 | >this router. Has anyone
 | >seen a cheap switch or converter that has both FDDI and Fast
 | >Ethernet on it? I know I can
 | >do a 4700, but thats large, expensive and clunky...Any ideas?
 | >
 | >Reid Fishler
 | >Lightning.net
 |
 | Yeah, that's a real disappointment with the VXR.  The best you'll be
 | able to do with Cisco is the Catalyst 2820, which lists for about
 | $8,600.  Coincidentally, I've got one on order now - in lieu of
 | buying a pricier (and somewhat wasteful of a chassis) Cat4k or Cat5k,
 | I opted for using the backplane on the switch to interconnect FE and
 | FDDI uplink boards.
 |
 | The basic part numbers you'll need are: WS-C2828-EN, WS-X2818, and
 | WS-X2842, along with any maintenance you might wish to purchase along
 | with it.
 |
 | Some product info is available on
 |
 | http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/ca2820.htm
 |

 | Jimmy

---
Rev. Chris Cappuccio -=- http://www.dqc.org/~chris/

"If you don't turn on to politics, politics will turn on you"
       - Ralph Nader