Re: FDDI to FE?

  • From: Jimmy Kyriannis
  • Date: Tue Dec 19 18:31:52 2000

At 4:33 PM -0500 12/19/00, Reid B. Fishler wrote:
Howdy all. We are about to install a new VXR, however it came to our attention that FDDI is not
compatable with it at all. Unfortunately, we need to connect FDDI to this router. Has anyone
seen a cheap switch or converter that has both FDDI and Fast Ethernet on it? I know I can
do a 4700, but thats large, expensive and clunky...Any ideas?

Reid Fishler
Lightning.net
Yeah, that's a real disappointment with the VXR. The best you'll be able to do with Cisco is the Catalyst 2820, which lists for about $8,600. Coincidentally, I've got one on order now - in lieu of buying a pricier (and somewhat wasteful of a chassis) Cat4k or Cat5k, I opted for using the backplane on the switch to interconnect FE and FDDI uplink boards.

The basic part numbers you'll need are: WS-C2828-EN, WS-X2818, and WS-X2842, along with any maintenance you might wish to purchase along with it.

Some product info is available on

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/ca2820.htm

Jimmy