Re: Port scanning legal

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Tue Dec 19 17:07:16 2000

Thus spake "Jeff Wheat" <[email protected]>
> Isn't that just sweet... So in a nutshell it is *not* illegal
> for kiddies to port scan a network looking for vulnerabilities.
> It would seem to me that such scans would impair the integrity
> of ones networks, or am I just smoking crack?

If the scans don't disrupt system operation (they're usually designed
not to), how would it impair network integrity?

To use (yet another) bad analogy, does a burglar walking through a
parking lot checking for unlocked cars commit a crime?  It's only a
crime to steal/vandalize the cars.

> Jeff
> CETLink.Net

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        Network Design Consultant, GSOLE
   :|||:      :|||:       New office: RCDN2 in Richardson, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Email: [email protected]