RE: Port scanning legal

  • From: Mark Borchers
  • Date: Tue Dec 19 11:07:31 2000

The gray area of port-scanning legality came up at Usenix's
conference earlier this month.  I believe the consensus was
that you are on firmer ground when organizations who own
machines that attackers might perform port scans FROM
have AUP's that prohibit such activity.  Nothing in this
court case would seem to prevent an organization from
disciplining individuals for using a system for an
administratively prohibited purpose.