Re: Pinging routers for network status

  • From: Miguel A.L. Paraz
  • Date: Mon Dec 18 05:37:36 2000

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:12:17AM -0800, Matt Levine wrote:
> Well, although there's no entirely fool-proof way, We've found a better way
> of monitoring "real" outages/issues is to monitor the time required to setup
> a tcp connection to some "trusted" machines.   For example, in our VA
> datacenter we monitor the time required to setup a connection with tier1
> providers (UU,BBN,DIGEX for example) nameservers (on port 53)..  We've found
> it slightly more reliable than ICMP reqs, especially since when routers get
> busy, it shows as degradation vs. outage.

How does your "DNS ping" work, do you just open and close a TCP connection?
Or make actual requests?   Like, "dig soa provider.net @ns.provider.net".
But perhaps if everyone starts doing this to the same box, it could be seen
as DoS?

--

http://www.internet.org.ph		Internet and ISP's in the Philippines
http://www.ASARproject.org		Artists for Social Action and Response