Re: Pinging routers for network status

  • From: John M . Brown
  • Date: Mon Dec 18 03:34:18 2000

Customers are constantly pinging our edge router, ns, or mail server.
Recently we had a flood of "your network is down" calls because customers
where pinging a well known site we host.  That site decided to block
all ICMP (don't start with me). We have since tweeked there filters to
allow certain ICMP things thru.

End users (read those that write the checks) seem to put a lot of
stock into the ping and trace route values.  Certainly the DSL
customers do.

Yet, I am seeing the "net" becoming more asymetric, and those ICMP
ECHO / ECHO-REPLY packets aren't taking nearly the same path
as they used to.

jmbrown