Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Fri Dec 15 23:26:24 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Jeff Mcadams wrote:

> We're currently efficiently (according to ARIN's guidelines) utilizing a
> /20, 2 /23's and a /24.  We apply to ARIN for space, and what do they
> say they'll give us?  A /20.  Period.  Someone care to explain this to
> me?  We're going to give back to upstreams a /20+ that we're efficiently
> utilizing, and to do this we're supposed to renumber into *less* space
> than what we have now?  And to pay for the privelage of doing so?  And
> people wonder why providers and other corporations don't have any
> motivation to clean up routing tables and do the other things we're

Choices:

1) Start renumbering into the ARIN /20.  Apply for more space when you've
just about used up the /20.  Unless you're switching providers sometime
soon, there should be no real rush to get out of the provider space.
OTOH, you don't want to take forever renumbering since it's financially in
your interest to get your next allocation in the same year as the first.
If they go by calendar years, I wouldn't want to be you right
now...needing to renumber, apply for more space, and hopefully get
approved in the next two weeks on top of the holidays.

2) Call ARIN / reapply and tell them they're boneheads for giving you less
space than you're currently efficiently using (and planning to renumber
out of in a timely manner).

Hopefully, your /20 is from a reserved /19...but I think I remember
reading they don't do that any more.  In this case, not doing that would
be kind of stupid since you're obviously going to need more than the /20
and everyone's BGP routers would benefit from your having one /19 rather
than two /20's.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |