Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

  • From: Dave Curado
  • Date: Fri Dec 15 18:56:56 2000

> Also sprach Dave Curado
> >ARIN has a (difficult) job to do, and from my experiences they do it
> >well.
>
> >1) You need to follow their rules/instructions
> >2) You can never supply them with too much information.
> >3) A good attitude helps.
>
> OK...but here's my problem now (after hearing from an arin person with
> some more information).
>
> My rant has changed from, "ARIN can't count."  To, "ARIN doesn't/didn't
> follow their own published policies."
>
> ARIN's web site (at the time that we submitted our request for a /19,
> and at the time that the /20 was approved) indicated a requirement that
> the provider renumber out of the upstream provided space.  Looking at
> the ARIN web site now...its hard to tell...I can't figure out from their
> web site whether we fall under the multi-homed requirements, or the
> initial allocation requirements, or some combination of the two.

You're right, the thing to do is to call them and ask for their
help in determining the best way to work within ARIN's guidelines.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to read rfc2050.  It's
(probably) a 'must read' for anyone working with IP allocation issues.

I too was surprised to hear you've had a problem reaching
someone there.  I have been surprised at how accessible ARIN
is via the phone.

apologies for the somewhat non-operational content,
we'll take it offline.