Filtering levels (was RE: multi-homing without the BGP (was RE:Packet Loss))

  • From: Jonathan Disher
  • Date: Fri Dec 15 14:47:00 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Daniel Golding wrote:

> advertise blocks smaller than a /20 to each other (/24 is a more normal
> filtering level these days). Also ensure that whichever of the upstreams

Is it safe to assume[*] that an announced /23 will not be filtered by any
major (or even the minor) backbones?  We just got our ARIN allocation (and
I won't go into that, the lag time was all my fault), and I'm currently
planning allocation for some remote offices and a couple of hosted
buildouts.  I'm hoping to not have to announce anything larger than a /23
from any one site unless necessary.

-j

[*] - It's never safe to assume anything internet related; relatively
speaking, is it safe...

-Jonathan Disher
-Systems and Network Engineer, Web Operations
-Internet Pictures Corporation, Palo Alto, CA
-[v] (650) 388-0497 | [p] (877) 446-9311 | [e] [email protected]