Re: Packet Loss

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Fri Dec 15 11:27:04 2000

[email protected] wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:24:04 CST, "John R. Grant" said:
> > <cringe>
> > that would be 9600 bit per inch GCR format 9-track tape, don't you think?
> > </cringe>
>
> At least in the IBM world, the options for 7-track were 200/556/800 bpi
> with even or odd parity, and mode=normal/data converter/translator. For
> 9-track the options are 800 NRZI, 1600 PE, and 6250 GCR.
>
> I still have 21 9-track tapes in my office that I need to do something with,
> as our last system with 3420-style round tapes is being decomissioned in
> the next few months.
> --
>                                 Valdis Kletnieks
>                                 Operating Systems Analyst
>                                 Virginia Tech

Hello;

   Real Men use punched paper tape to store programs and load the boot
block, after toggling
its binary location on the system console register :) The Gods Who Walk
Among Us program in machine
code by toggling it in at the console.

(I still have some punched paper tape somewhere. I remember feeling
impressed when I graduated to
punched cards. They didn't tend to crack if you had a string of all bits
set to one.)

On the other hand, I did tens of thousands of lines of code on IBM
punched cards and I never
once recall a bug caused by a chad, hanging or otherwise.

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : [email protected]     http://www.on-the-i.com