Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

  • From: Jeff Mcadams
  • Date: Fri Dec 15 00:52:08 2000

Also sprach David R Huberman
>> We're currently efficiently (according to ARIN's guidelines)
>> utilizing a /20, 2 /23's and a /24.  We apply to ARIN for space, and
>> what do they say they'll give us?  A /20.  Period.  Someone care to
>> explain this to me?

>It means you didn't explain your goals clearly enough, I guess.

What is there to explain?

>If you demonstrate to ARIN efficient utilization of 21 /24s (as you
>describe above), you qualify for 32 /24s for renumbering purposes; a /19.

>sufficient address space with which to renumber and grow your business.
>You'll get a /19 every time.

Hello...I'm using *more* than a /20 right *now*.  If I had 100%
efficient utilization of the IP addresses that we're using *today* I
couldn't fit into just a /20.  I can't come up with *any* logic that
would make sense to renumber into a /20.  This information was clearly
spelled out on our application.  If the folks at ARIN are too dense to
add a few numbers together, you'd think they'd at least drop us an email
or a phone call and ask a question or two!  Sheesh!  There is *NO*
excuse for ARIN here, what they've done with us has *NO* rational
explanation.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email protected]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848