Re: OT: pagers/phones

  • From: deeann mikula
  • Date: Thu Dec 14 20:43:46 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Specifically we were looking at PageMart 2-ways, SprintPCS, and Nextel.
> Any other suggestions are more than welcome.  The only thing we are NOT
> interested in is any email-based paging (doesn't work too well if the
> internet is 'broken').
>
> Qpage.org lists all three of those providers as having a TAP number, but
> they all deny any knowledge of such a thing.

our experience with paging companies (arch & metrocall) is that you
have to REALLY force your way into a conversation with a technician
who knows what TAP is.  it took several weeks into a trial period with
metrocall to talk to someone who could say, "yes, that number that
your sales rep gave you is a TAP number."

then you just have to fiddle with qpage for the right syntax for the
phone number and pager ID number for the paging company.  that's not
standardized as far as we can tell. we thought that they were lying
about TAP until someone decided to change the syntax of the numbers
and it magically worked.

metrocall wouldn't give us unlimited paging with those new two-way
keyboard pagers, though, although they claim to offer unlimited paging
with older models.

i just went through demo'ing and negotiating new pagers and contracts,
so let me know if you need more help.

(we've only been using metrocall for 2 months, so i can't really vouche for
their service yet.)

deeann m.m. mikula

network administrator
telerama internet -- http://www.telerama.com