Re: OT: pagers/phones

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Thu Dec 14 16:32:29 2000

Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone using TAP-based paging software with any of the major two-way
> pager companies or any cell phones that have paging features?
>
> Specifically we were looking at PageMart 2-ways, SprintPCS, and Nextel.
> Any other suggestions are more than welcome.  The only thing we are NOT
> interested in is any email-based paging (doesn't work too well if the
> internet is 'broken').
>
> Qpage.org lists all three of those providers as having a TAP number, but
> they all deny any knowledge of such a thing.

Arch perhaps?

http://www.archwireless.com

I have an Arch two-way pager - they have a kickass network (lots of
coverage in this area, even in rural Geauga County), and they
are inexpensive. I dropped Skytel 1.5-way for Arch WebLink. It rocks.

They do have a TAP number which works. I know this because I have
my two-way set up on Keynote's RedAlert service for alpha paging.

I'd have to check what the TAP number is.

I'm paying $24.95 per month for 50K characters. Billed *per character*
with overcalls set at one penny for every, umm, 23 or 27 additional
characters.

Much better than PageNet, a company which forgot what customer service
means years ago, and much better than SkyTel, whose customer service
is great, but whose paging products are still priced as if they were
the only company in the world doing two-way. (WCOM owns SkyTel now,
anyhow, and that's another good reason not to give 'em money. :)

And yes, all those providers probably do have TAP numbers. But it is
extremely difficult to get the info from ANY paging company, because
I don't think any of their CSR's have a clue what TAP is. Ask for a modem
number and you might have more success.

--
Steve Sobol, BOFH, President    888.480.4NET 866.DSL.EXPRESS 216.619.2NET
North Shore Technologies Corporation   http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net