Re: Cogent Communications?

  • From: jamie rishaw
  • Date: Wed Dec 13 21:58:37 2000

Ah, how quick we are to jump.

  Cogent's push lately has been businesses with offices in MTU's across
the united states.

  Idea:  Get rid of your expensive, low bandwidth frame relay PVC's all
over hell and back, and get 100 megs with Cogent.  You save mad cash.

  A company that can turn up a new office and have 100 megs bandwidth
to all the other offices for file sharing, e-mail, remote backups, etc,
.. well -- this changes the backoffice-workings of the brick-and-mortar.

  Cogent isn't offering 100 meg transit to just anyone for this price
point -- their ideal customer is a company that pays $1500 a month for
a T1 to xyz.com .. and their other ideal customer is a company with
offices in various MTU's that Cogent is in - and getting rid of the
inter-office PVC's and running the network over Cogent's fiber.

  Sounds like a good deal to me.  We signed up a couple weeks ago to
light up a little over a half dozen offices.  The biggest advantage is
not the transit (we do under 5 meg avg), but the office-to-office
communications.  Turn up VoIP and there's an added communications savings.

  <shrug>

--
i am jamie at arpa dot com .. and this is my .sig.
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed and unlimited power.

<BasharTeg> Linux is like drugs.  They seem fun at the time, but someday you
            have to live with the consequences of your actions.