Re: Cogent Communications?

  • From: Daniel L. Golding
  • Date: Wed Dec 13 00:56:48 2000

Indications are that Cogent is an MTU (multi tenant unit) provider, AKA a
bLEC, like Cypress or ARC. That's how they will get the necessary
economies of scale. Even so, $10/mb is no way to ever brake even. Seems to
be an exercise in transitioning money from VC to equipment and fiber
vendors as quickly as possible...I was impressed by the folks they had at
NANOG, though - seemed like very nice folks. Nice folks with a kind of
whacked business model, though.

- Dan Golding