Re: California power - its cold, its dark

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Fri Dec 08 11:08:18 2000

Joe McGuckin wrote:

> Roeland,
>
> I think you're confusing the California Aqueduct with the "Los Angeles
> Aqueduct". The LA Aqueduct's (designed by William Mullholland,
> constructed 1907-1913) gravity-flow contruction requires no pumps.
> It diverts eastern Sierra mountain streams from the Owens Valley and
> Mono Lake basin to reservoirs in the metro Los Angeles area.
>
> Joe

[Off topic tid-bit] The water rights for this were bought secretly (&
cheaply) by
 Mullholland using front corporations and outside agents. Farmers
thought they
were selling something of no value to fools, because how could the
purchasers ever
actually use the water without owning the land ? When the  farmers in
the
Owens Valley found out what was really going on, they tried to
dynamite the Aqueduct, because, in that area, no water rights means no crops.

Now, if I could just buy bandwidth that way...

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : [email protected]     http://www.on-the-i.com