RE: Operations: where are you going to sit?

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Thu Dec 07 01:32:27 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> > For what it is worth, I believe that the use of cellphones in airplanes
> > is prohibited by the FCC, not by the FAA.  That is, the use of cellphones
> > in airplanes (in flight) adversely affects the cellphone system.  A
> > cellphone at a high altitude is visible in numerous cells, with conflicts
> > with the assumption that a cellphone will be heard (more or less) only
> > in one cell.
> >
> > Now, about the use of other radio receivers and transmitters in airplanes...
> >

> And for what it's worth -- they don't work above ~3000 feet.  I assume this is
> due to the design of the cell site antenna.   Not that I ever tried it in a
> private plane or anything...
>
> Mark Radabaugh
> (419)833-3635
> [email protected]

They work very well above 3000ft as long as you and the cell site that
sees you are in agreement.

This brings to mind something from WAY back.  When I got out of the Marine
Corps, I flew home to VA.  When we hit pattern elevation, I used my ICOM
2M geer (previously cleared with the Airline) to bring up the auto-patch
and telephone my parents to tell them I was en-route to VA.  My HT was
using a whopping 500mw of power.  Granted, I was probably being heard (on
my TX freq) US wide, but, I happened to know a "control" freq that also
was used as an input freq to the WB4SQC (149.29MHz) repeater in Johnson
City, TN and as such, I wasn't worried about causing problems.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc