RE: Operations: where are you going to sit?

  • From: Jason A. Mills
  • Date: Wed Dec 06 18:58:01 2000

Dan-

Semi-truth. Older equipment, poorly shielded equipment, and
highly-sensitive equipment can /sometimes/ be interfered with by
higher-powered RF transmitters. You'll see this sort of policy in
hospitals, microchip fab plants, and -some- datacenters (among others).

A blanket policy is better than having to tell people exactly what type of
RF devices are banned (above a certain ERP wattage, modulation types,
etc).

-J

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Daniel L. Golding wrote:

> I have worked in data centers where cell phones, FM radios, Nextel
phones,
> etc. were banned. The theory was that the radios could somehow interfere
> with the equipment. This never made much sense to me. Are restrictions
> such as this common? Anyone have any thoughts on if this is rooted in
> truth or falacy? It's very hard to work on some type of network
problems,
> where you have to console in, while using someone standing outside a
data
> center as a "talker".
>
> - Dan Golding

             Jason A. Mills            [email protected]
    "We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call, no way
out, just the upstairs window to look out of while the fire burns the
house down with us trapped, locked inside it." -- Tennessee Williams