RE: Operations: where are you going to sit?

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Wed Dec 06 14:39:12 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Mathew Butler wrote:

> Small problem: You can't use CB for any kind of business purpose. :(
>
> There's a separate business band that -can- be used for business -- you have
> to get a license from the FCC to use it, but that's per-company and not
> per-user.
>
> -Mat Butler

You can't use CB for much of anything.  It's so full of rednecks and
trailer trash.  Beyond that, do you really want a bunch of AM running
around your datacenter?

As for business band, why bother?  GMRS and Itinerant are licenseless.

Low Power GMRS radios (That's what the Motorola rigs referred to
previously are) are your ideal solution for a number of reasons:

1) Low power (<500mW) is less likely to cause problems with equipment in
the datacenter.

2) The last time I checked,  Billybob Redneck down at the CB Shack wasn't
selling "Linears" for 430Mhz and as such, you're most likely not going to
have to deal with hearing/being heard by others. (If this is important to
you, there are encryption devices for the Motorola units that are
inexpensive.)

3) Reliability - Never seen a CB that could take the abuse my Motorola
gear has taken.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc