RE: Is MPLS based VPN really feasible in real world situation?

  • From: Cumming, James
  • Date: Wed Dec 06 05:29:58 2000

Tiernan,

You are indeed correct.  Giles did indeed mention that we are running MPLS
on our Juniper M160 core network and I am rolling out MPLS VPNs on a wider
scale across Europe.  This service is not currently available for customers
of Level 3 as the Juniper equipment is not currently capable of supporting
MPLS VPNs (Juniper have a release of software that should  cover this
functionality early next 2001).  There are work-arounds to allow end-to-end
MPLS VPNs but these will not be implemented for customers as they do not
scale.

We will be pursuing further work in this area early next year.

Regards,

James Cumming
IP Core Network Engineer
Level 3 Communications