Re: Operations: where are you going to sit?

  • From: mdevney
  • Date: Wed Dec 06 03:09:14 2000

No, actually, this should be in the NOC proper.  Actually, every single
phone in the NOC should be able to dial an outside line, and far more than
half of them should be able to dial international.

Assume you are in California (as I am) and have a pair of BT E1s in London
(as I once did).  Then assume they go down (as mine once did).  How am I
supposed to call British Telecom without dialling international?  And,
since in this NOC I was responsible for fixing the problem (not just
diagnosing and escalating as I hear some NOCs do), I had to call BT
repeatedly, and talk to them while at the same time sitting at my desk and
fixing stuff with them.  A phone that can dial international *at*my*desk*,
and at every operater's desk who may need to do such a thing, is
necessary.

And, as a side issue: If your NOC is one of those that is fixing stuff
instead of just isolating faults for someone else to fix, it needs a large
selection of manuals and a workbench with test equipment as well.

--Matthew Devney