Re: Operations: where are you going to sit?

  • From: dklindt
  • Date: Tue Dec 05 20:58:46 2000
> On 5 Dec 2000, Sean Donelan wrote:
> > Key features for a NOC:
> >    1) Good chairs
> >    2) Quiet
> >    3) Adequate ice maker
> >    4) Lots of bookshelves, file cabinets, and personal storage
> >    5) Lots of phone lines (including conference and analog)
> >    6) Some direct phone(s) (not through PBX, i.e. Red Phones)
> >    7) Multiple PCs/Workstations per operator
> >    8) Private tunes (cd player & headset)
> >    9) CNN and The Weather Channel (really ESPN)
> >   10) Drapes across the glass window
>
> To which I would add from my own years in a NOC:
>
> - Low light (especially halogens -- flourescents are a killer)
> - Ready access to sodas, company-paid pref.  (coffee is nice, but soda is
> necessary.)
> - Wide aisles, so people can -run- in an emergency
> - Binder containing phone numbers for telco contacts, management up to and
> including CEO, etc.
> - Kooshes or similar toys for slow grave shifts.

We have a bed on site and a 15 gal kegger in a frig. In addition we have
a massage lady on stand bye for our people and their "others."

Most jet drivers look down their noses at helicopter aviators.
That is until they get shot down and need a ride home.
This is normally completed in the same spot they got blasted.