Re: a privacy violation at the DC Renaissance Hotel - to all NANOG 20 conference participants

  • From: Mike Hughes
  • Date: Tue Dec 05 16:07:45 2000
On 5 Dec 00, at 15:17, Kai Schlichting wrote:

> STSN apparently uses a transparent proxy (which I have no problem with)
> that continually keeps a copy of what is accessed for a very long
> time (which I have a BIG problem with) - but it doesn't stop there:
> it's doing conditional re-GET's on those objects in the cache,
> keeping it up-to-date (and I will not allege that the STSN admins
> are "surfing the logs" so to speak, there is not evidence for that).

Well, I'm glad I didn't hit anything sensitive through that service,
and basically only checked mail over SSH.

One of the things I'm considering doing (but not got around to yet),
is building myself a "friendly" Squid proxy on my office network.

Then, whenever I'm on my travels, I open an SSH session to my
office network, and tunnel all web traffic through the SSH session
to my Squid.

That's the best solution I can think of for this kind of stuff. Anyone
else got any ideas?

Mike
--
Mike Hughes,London,UK             http://www.smashing.net/
[email protected]                          ICQ UIN:4871914