Re: pretty cool paper re "myth of Internet growth numbers"

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Dec 03 08:07:11 2000

On Sun, 03 December 2000, Andrew Odlyzko wrote:
> Since you have have chosen to ignore kc's "meta-operational content
> warning"
>
>   On Sat, 02 December 2000, k claffy wrote:
>   > [meta-operational content warning.
>   > followup thread probably belongs on some other list]
>   >
>   > andrew odlyzko's latest
>   >    http://www.cisp.org/imp/november_2000/odlyzko/11_00odlyzko.htm
>
> I feel entitled to respond.
>
> First of all, your comments all appear to be based on the paper you
> cite, namely
>
>   http://www.research.att.com/~amo/doc/high.network.cost.txt
>
> This is an entirely different paper on a different subject.  (Moreover,
> just like the article kc cites, it is just a short overview of more
> detailed papers.)  It is sort of like kc saying "Sean's new-born son
> is cute," and my responding "But his two-year old daughter is ugly."
> Either statement may be right or wrong, but there is little connection
> between them.

I skipped over that paper because the basic topic in your paper "Myth of
Internet growth Numbers" was covered extensively on this list when the
"doubling every 90 days" number was first published a couple of years
ago. I think the original source was traced back to a comment made by
Mike O'Dell at UUNET.  If I recall the conclusion at the time was, at best,
the comment was taken very much out of context.

You point out that politicians and venture capitalists continue to cite
the number to support their projects.  Ok, I suppose someone had to say
the emperor isn't wearing clothes.  But I thought you had some more
interesting ideas in the other papers.

I think the growth claim is a bit like the last place television channel
announcing "they have the fastest growing newscast."  It is much easier to
double a small number than a large number.  But eventually you run out of
new viewers.  The interesting question isn't why is the Internet acting
like a Ponzi scheme.  The interesting question is when will the Internet
growth curve change from going straight up to an S-shaped curve?

Every once in a while, someone will plot the Internet growth curve against
the television growth curve, FM radio growth curve, CD player growth curve,
etc.  The problem is we can't compare them yet, because we don't know where
the bend in the Internet growth curve is, yet.

So, does you data show the knee was in 1995-1996?  Or are we still on the
exponential part of the curve?  If we are past the knee, its bad news for
all the carriers, new and old, since stock price is mostly based on future
growth expectation.