Re: Network Availability Report

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Fri Dec 01 11:30:47 2000

Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> I'm looking for some kind of tool that can generate a report on network
> availability.  For instance; this utility would run on a server and perform
> tests to other hosts and routers across the network.  The usual Network
> Monitoring Tool tests like ping, port response, etc but also things like
> throughput between monitoring host and destination, packet-loss and a total
> percentage of availability for that host.  Obviously the availability
> "number" would be dynamic based on the results of the tests and how the user
> configures the impact of those tests against the available percentage.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this in one nice little package?  What I'm
> going to do is give the head honchos a URL where all they have to do is
> click on a portion of our network and read off the uptime percentage.
>
> Thx!

Hello;

NLANR has a very nice multicast beacon monitoring system :

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Beacon/

in use on Abilene : http://palpatine.ucs.indiana.edu:9999/loss

and the commodity Internet :

http://beaconserver.accessgrid.org:9999/   (although it's been down all morning :(    )

This is very useful in multicasting, and it has options for packet loss,
Delay, delay  jitter, packets out of order  and packet  duplication.

It has occured to me that the beacons do not use much bandwidth, and the same thing
could be done in unicast, and could be very useful there. It probably wouldn't take much of
a coding change to get this to work in unicast; NLANR might already have it...

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624
Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : [email protected]     [email protected]

http://www.on-the-i.com http://www.buzzwaves.com