Re: Internet metrics

  • From: Daniel L. Golding
  • Date: Thu Nov 30 23:51:44 2000

All of this is easily available at www.internetcontrolcenter.com. There,
the folks who run the Internet (which is, in reality, a smallish server
farm at a non-descript colo in Reston, VA), maintain and publish all of
these statistics. ;)

Oh, you're serious? Matrix.net has some interesting "weather data" in
graphical format. I think you will find very little of the sort of data
you are looking for, in any sort of coherent package. Some of it, like
"average speed of the internet" is so highly subjective, that it may be
impossible to measure.

For some of the rest, try www.caida.org. They may have some tools and data
of interest. There are certain established public peering points. There
are also an arbitrarily large number of private peering points, colocation
spaces, hosting facilities, garages, and closets that may be of interest.

- Daniel Golding