Re: STM4c and Cisco

  • From: Daniel L. Golding
  • Date: Wed Nov 29 22:23:08 2000

Ariel,

This is probably a better question for the cisco-puck mailing list. At any
rate, I have experience running GEIPs (which are essentially PA-GE's on a
VIP2/50. The PA-GE only works on the 7200 family - for 7500s you need the
GEIP). I never got more than 200mb/sec out of one of them, on a large
service provider network. You can probably assume double that performance
on a VIP4/80. I don't think it's realistic to assume line rate traffic on
anything larger than an OC-3 for the 7500 family. In Cisco's defense, this
is an older platform, and one that is more or less aimed at the Enterprise
these days. In the Cisco world, ESRs and GSRs are aimed at the faster
stuff.

If you want something smaller that does line rate OC-12, I suggest a
Juniper M5, or a Foundry BigIron 4000. They are both excellent choices.

- Dan Golding