STM4c and Cisco

  • From: Ariel Biener
  • Date: Wed Nov 29 18:50:15 2000

  Hi guys/gals,

   For a certain operation, we will be ordering a STM4c circuit. The edge
router (our side) is a Cisco 7507, running RSP8, with VIP4-80s.

   I saw that Cisco havea PA-OC12 card for the 750x series. My questions
is as follows:

   This particular location is an Internet exchange. Traffic can be
classified as general purpose, and I assume web access is the largest
share of it. I heard of different limitations of the VIP4-80, as per how
many pps it can do, and what my boss heard from Cisco was about 400Mbit/s
worth of packets (if we take the usual packet size distribution into
consideration).

   I wonder if this is true. AFAIK, there are PA-GE cards for 750x series
too. Would they also be stuck at ~40% of their potential ? For that OC12
card, this makes it roughly 500Mb/s worth of cells (tax this for packet to
cell conv. and you're at 400Mbit/s).

   Does any of you run STM4c circuits on 750x routers (not 12k or
Junipers) ?  If you do, have you ever came close to the full capacity of
the link ?

    I need to know this before I order it (although this is more academic
than anything else, since I have no choice in the matter anyway).

thanks for you input,

--Ariel

--
Ariel Biener