Re: Traceroute versus other performance measurement

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Wed Nov 29 13:51:56 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Daniel Senie wrote:

<SNIP>

> All the theory sounds great. Now, you've got a customer using the utility to
> test a circuit between two boxes, and calls to complain that he's only
> seeing 1/2 of the expected bandwidth, because Pathchar tells him he's
> getting X, and we said we provisioned 2X. Perhaps it's just a customer
> education issue.

At the expense of using all their bandwidth ttcp should provide some
reasonable measure of performance under those circumstances.

> I think you're making assumptions about how load is shared on parallel
> links. Often this is done by hashing the IP address or mac address of the
> packets as a way to ensure there will be no packet reordering issues on the
> parallel links. You can send traffic until you clog one of the two pipes,
> but will never cause spill to the other link.

Joel Jaeggli				       [email protected]
Academic User Services			     [email protected]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.