Re: Traceroute versus other performance measurement

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Wed Nov 29 11:55:45 2000

Programs such as pathchar can AT MOST tell you about latency, not about
bandwidth. Any cases where links are in parallel (e.g. multilink PPP of
multiple ISDN or T1 lines, or trunked Ethernet links) will typically NOT
show up in the calculations, since all packets from the test tool will
travel only one of the possible links in these cases. (Yes, multilink PPP
permits splitting packets across links, which would make it possible to see
the added bandwidth, but I haven't seen an implementation actually do this).

This compounds other issues with trying to determine path characteristics
with such tools, most especially (and as others mentioned) asymmetric paths.