Re: Limits of reliability or is 99.999999999% realistic

  • From: Toby_Williams
  • Date: Tue Nov 28 03:49:58 2000

I think SLAs should always be supplied with a service and those that do not
offer one, miss a vital point about the service infrastructure they've put in
place.

There's not one single, ideal level of service that everyone should be striving
for with IP networks. We know this because no two applications have exactly the
same network requirements, hence consumer A will have subtley different
requirements from consumer B.

End consumers *may* want a generalist service, that can do a bit of everything,
but as an ASP would your applications have the same network requirements as a
video/VoIP provider? Would someone doing backup services share these
requirements?

There's a vast (and growing) space for differentiation of services and this can
only occur with valid SLAs.

>From a legal perspective:

If I sell someone transit for a month, then the service is "down" that month,
and heh I didn't offer an SLA. Then you still have to pay me for the service and
I pay you nothing back.

OK I'd lose my customers, but: I'd be considerably richer having sold bandwidth
for a month and not used any myself, than I should be considering I've just
ripped my customers off.

That's why the SLA exists. It is a necessary part of the contract that defines
the quality of the product to be sold.

Toby

All--

In a perfect world, your provider says the service is always on, the
service is always on. �In the real world, we have to deal with outages --
some kids vandalise a phone box, new tech trips over some cables, some
idiot telco misimplements MPLS and brings your service down for a day....

These things happen, and sometimes we all just have to suck it down and
deal with it. �But if it happens continuously, you have to ask your
provider for some assurance that it won't keep happening. �This is what
SLAs are for.

In my experience, a company that delivers reasonable levels of service has
no need for SLAs with their clients. �The service is up, everybody is
happy. �SLAs are like your parent telling you to do the dishes again "and
get it right this time, or else you go to bed with no jell-o!"

Which s why, in looking for a vendor, I ask for an SLA. �If they have one
as a standard offering, then I know that they've messed up a lot in the
past, and will probably be messing up more than I like in the
future. �It's like the kid who never did his homework coming up to the
teacher on the last day of school asking for extra credit. �NO YOU
FOOL! �You should have done it right the last 180 days!

Anyway, just my thoughts.