Re: Limits of reliability or is 99.999999999% realistic

  • From: mdevney
  • Date: Mon Nov 27 15:29:38 2000

All--

In a perfect world, your provider says the service is always on, the
service is always on.  In the real world, we have to deal with outages --
some kids vandalise a phone box, new tech trips over some cables, some
idiot telco misimplements MPLS and brings your service down for a day....

These things happen, and sometimes we all just have to suck it down and
deal with it.  But if it happens continuously, you have to ask your
provider for some assurance that it won't keep happening.  This is what
SLAs are for.

In my experience, a company that delivers reasonable levels of service has
no need for SLAs with their clients.  The service is up, everybody is
happy.  SLAs are like your parent telling you to do the dishes again "and
get it right this time, or else you go to bed with no jell-o!"

Which s why, in looking for a vendor, I ask for an SLA.  If they have one
as a standard offering, then I know that they've messed up a lot in the
past, and will probably be messing up more than I like in the
future.  It's like the kid who never did his homework coming up to the
teacher on the last day of school asking for extra credit.  NO YOU
FOOL!  You should have done it right the last 180 days!

Anyway, just my thoughts.