Re: Carnivore Update - Public Does Not Care

  • From: bob bownes
  • Date: Sun Nov 26 23:35:13 2000

> >We were actually suprised that the good banks are pretty tight and without
> >real regulations that say exactly what to do. In technology reviews, we've
> >been asked about Van Eck sniffing, encrypting data while in RAM, and some
> >pretty impressive other stuff. Of course the bank is the one with the
> >money at stake.  What worries me, is my experience with corporate style IT
> >management tells me they only get that paranoid after being burned a few
> >times. Must have been some expensive lessons.  --Mike--

I think you'll find it varies from intitution to institution. Even the big guys
get sloppy.
While sitting in the back of a cab @ a stoplight in NYC, my 802.11 wireless card
lit up. I was able to browse quite a bit of a well known financial institution's
network before the light changed....

And back to on-topic, AutoWeek had a interesting article (column actually) this
week on Spam.