RE: Carnivore Update - Washington Post 11/21/00

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Wed Nov 22 21:11:28 2000

The only answer is the same one for CALEA, absolute mil-grade encryption on
every single packet! Given that, it won't matter if they capture packets,
they wont be readable. However, as MHSC has found out the hard way, folks
don't want to pay for it. Even when it is freeware, they wont go through the
extra trouble to install it. The proof is the market penetration of PGP.
Only the geeks tend to use it and SSH is only used by SA geeks. The general
market DOESN'T CARE!

At one time, MHSC offered VPN software and an SSL-based web mail product,
for a very nominal $10/month. We had lottsa queries, but few buyers. Folks
would rather use a free, unsecured, hotmail/juno/etc than a non-free
SSL-based one. BTW, you can't have banner ads on an SSL page.

I figure that this market has at least three years to go before it is real.