Re: Down under NANOG: Telstra problems and root servers

  • From: Chris Chaundy
  • Date: Tue Nov 21 19:47:28 2000
On 21 Nov 2000, Sean Donelan wrote:

> In addition the the previously reported cable cut, several folks have
> written about a fire at an electrical substation cut power for much of eastern Sydney, the location of a major Telstra server facility.  As far as I can
> tell, the fire had little affect on Telstra's servers because backup
> generators were in place.
>
> Although Telstra is the dominant ISP (and telephone company) in Australia,
> there are other ISPs using other facilities which were not affected by the
> cable cut.
>
> So, if a root server was placed in Australia, to whom's network should
> it be attached.  Would OPTUS and Telstra cooperate and jointly provide
> connectivity and diversity?  Or is the most connected place in the
> asia-pacific region still the west coast of the US?

Not speaking for my employer (one of the 'other ISPs'), I expect that with
the way things are set up here currently, that some independent group that
ran it under contract (to whom?) and multi-homed to major ISPs, probably
located in Sydney, although there is (or should I say was ;-) a fair bit
of international connectivity out of Perth, would be the most likely outcome.
--
Chris Chaundy (Director - Network Services)

connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.
Internet: [email protected]   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3 9251-3666