"Real Operator"

  • From: JIM FLEMING
  • Date: Tue Nov 21 17:00:48 2000

In my opinion, "real operators" pay careful attention to the basics, such as
quality of service, up-time, performance, true "end-to-end" IPv4 transport,
etc. The consesus here seems to be that NANOG is a group of hobbyists
with no "policy rudder" to steer them in a direction where the O implicitly
stands for "Real Operator". The Real Operators that I know have told me
that NANOG no longer cares, in other words, it is not like the old days.

I guess this is what happens when "operators" can not agree on how to
process the first 20 bytes in a packet header, in a consistent manner,
without
breaking things after the fact.

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif